Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Red Pill vs. Blue Pill

A big visual from the first Matrix movie is when Neo is presented with two options from Morpheus, to either take the blue pill or the red pill. The blue pill is a sign of safety, to retreat back to the "reality" that Neo was already used to. He would forget everything that had happened to him before and wake up in his bed, repeat the same ol' same ol'. If he takes the red pill, he would see a new reality, that was the actual truth, and he would see "how far down the rabbit hole goes". It's one of my favoritest and quickest decisions ever made. I kinda feel like he should've spent a little bit more time thinking over his options.

Neo is a random hacker that starts seeing hints to "Alice in Wonderland" references. As inspiring as that is, it could just be looked at as coincidental. Watch, spend the entire day thinking about a random theme: chicken, toenails, flossing, whatever, the options are limitless. If you spend your day thinking about a certain theme, you'll find it pop up ALL over the place. I used to never hear the word "wonky" before watching "Workaholics" on Comedy Central. Now I hear it once a week.

Not only that, but Neo doesn't really seem like the most motivated guy in the world to change his whole perspective because a guy with cool sunglasses gave him some pills. Neo worked at a boring job and would hack into random shit, I wouldn't really call that Messiah material. This guy used to be Ted 10 years before The Matrix came out.

I kind of feel like Neo didn't really look at a fair evaluation of his options. It was really more like "Take the blue pill and do the same shit. Or take the red pill and I'll fuck with your mind until you're dead (I would say 'spoiler alert' but it's been out for 13 years, you've had time to watch it already)." The red pill sounds like a hoot but looking at how motivated Neo was before he met Morpheus, I kinda feel like this is more of what his options would have looked like in Neo's mind:

Sidenote: My roommate actually was eating M&M's in my room and wasn't paying attention. He somehow made this color choice happen without looking. I know this. I was there.

Another Sidenote: I still love The Matrix. A lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment